If you didn’t know by now, LeBron James is doing big things away from the game of basketball. NBA Star LeBron James funds a public school in Akron and I’m finally getting around to chiming in on his I Promise School, which opened back in July of 2018.
Before I get into it though, I previously dictated a ton of notes but by the time I got around to finally creating this post, I realized my notes just ended up being one large run-on sentence so shuffled and out of context that after a few attempts of editing it, I couldn’t even make sense of it. So I scratched those notes and here we are. I may have lost my previous notes, but I didn’t lose the thoughts that remain in my mind when I think about an accomplishment like this one.
First, let me go on record saying that we need more stories like these. And by “we” I mean the U.S. The majority of the time, the media gets watered down with negative stories, especially athletes in this case, that when a good story finally comes around its gone in the blink of an eye. Now don’t get me wrong. The media does their share of presenting positive feel-good stories (like this one), but most of the time its the opposite. It’s almost like the negative stories are click-bait, but that’s just my opinion.
Second, before I go into any details about this I made sure I did my due diligence and did a little research on the school so I wouldn’t relay false information or give credit where it wasn’t deserving. I didn’t do any hardcore research. Most of what you’ll see below can be found on the I Promise School Wikipedia page.
In a nutshell, here is what you need to know..
- The I Promise School is a public elementary school in Akron, Ohio focusing to aid at-risk children.
- The school opened its doors in July of 2018.
- Currently offering grades 3-4, the school is looking to be home to grades 1-8 by the year 2022.
- Free tuition to the University of Akron is awarded to every student graduating with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- The school is supported by the LeBron James Family Foundation, which also provides additional services for students like uniforms, transportation, and career placement services for both students and their parents.
To some, this may not seem like a big deal, but whenever celebrities, entertainers, or even your everyday professionals support these kinds of movements I can’t help but to show my appreciation. Just think if every athlete, celebrity, or entertainer made even the smallest contribution like this one, maybe the world would begin to be a better place for our today’s youth.